Saturday, October 31, 2009

I saw a Dio replicant, but copybot had nothing to do with it

~~~
Last night, the Deadwood 1876 community had its annual Halloween party in the meadow up in the hills above town. Miz Sal from the Bella did a great job putting it together. It was complete with everything you would expect at a Halloween celebration in America during the latter 19th century: bobbing for apples, some fortune telling, a bonfire, and lots of fancy odds and ends to eat. I played my fiddle, and the folks who were so inclined did some dancing. But one unexpected feature of the evening related to the costumes that folks wore. We had some of the usual sorts of things, like witches and a pirate. Rod Eun brought out a great Pumpkin-Head scarecrow outfit, and young Rachel Kungler looked suitably grim as a mini-widow in mourning. But the most unique looks were some costumes that were modeled on characters from our own narrative. Little Elisabeth Vita actually dressed up as our acting mayor, Clay Kungler (complete with droopy mustache and cigar) and Clay...well, I'd best just go ahead and show what Clay wore:



Yeah, it's a seven foot tall, 300 pound version of me. And bless his heart, Clay went whole hog: he cussed and was grumpy with people, and he even took off his regualr AO so he would stand like I do.

He won first prize in the costume contest with this. Are you surprised?

Clay, with Deac as a dead Abe Lincoln and me as a pirate captain. Yeah that's me--I think this is a useful picture for giving you a sense of scale and seeing how much bigger Clay is than the real Dio. Both images are courtesy of Neil Streeter. I actually took a whole bunch of images but they seem to have gotten lost or aufgepoofed to the land of missing socks and textures when I tried to save them to disc. So thank you, Neil! If SL had completely lost the images of this and no one else had some to share, I woulda been mighty goddam pissed.
~~~

7 comments:

  1. You being such a good sport about Clay's costume is what made it ten times more fun!
    Been hoping you'd post this all day.

    I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog!

    Sincerely,
    Mahaila

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Mah,

    I am glad you enjoy the blog. And hey, no reason to not be a good sport about it. I have to admit I found the whole thing endearing. As well as funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was awfully sweet, wasn't it? Kinda hard to explain why it was so sweet and touching to folks who don't know all y'all (or us!) though, lol.

    You know you're extremely dear to everyone who knows you.
    Love ya,
    Mahaila

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Good on him! We did something similar to Osprey after a show last year:
    http://headburroantfarm.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/tsmgo-and-the-army-of-os/

    And come to think of it, Osprey is a titch too:
    http://www.atomic-raygun.com/2009/09/professor-thinks-im-shrinking-again.html
    http://headburroantfarm.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/hello-little-osprey-said-the-big-bad-zombie/

    Have I ever seen you two in the same room at the same time...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mah,

    that is kind of you to say, but you know, there are plenty of folks who find me tiresome or offensive. Fortunately they usually happen to be folks who I completely and utterly loathe, so it kinda evens out.

    But part of what made it so special is not only Clay one of the people who I truly respect in world, he's someone whom I trust, which is a rare thing in SL, sorry to say. And he makes me laugh at least once a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey HB,

    you know actually I was in the same room with Os once, at a TSMGO performance. Osprey was cheerfully adding to the chaos. oh, wait...are you implying that one of us is the alt of the other?

    That's silly.

    Because obviously we're BOTH alts of you.

    ReplyDelete